Which WeChat articles by national tourism boards got the most views in 2019? Here are the top 10 most-viewed posts published on WeChat this year. The ranking is based on the number of views the article received the week it was published (as catalogued in Dragon Trail’s WeChat rankings), but we’ve also checked how many views each article has racked up since then.
The destinations were geographically diverse this year, spanning Asia, Northern Europe, and Oceania. This contrasts with last year, when Norway was the only European account in the top 10. The only accounts to make it to the list with more than one article were the Tourism Authority of Thailand and Visit Korea – just as in 2018.
Giveaways proved to attract the most attention on WeChat, but articles on romance and natural beauty also performed well. Read on for the full list, and click here for a top 10 ranking of WeChat articles published by DMOs (regional and municipal tourism boards).
This article was originally published on 23 December, 2019, but updated on 27 December to reflect the results of our WeChat Rankings for the week of 16-22 December.
10. Tourism Ireland, “Getting Married in Ireland”, 28,493 views for the week of 24-30 June (30,200 views as of 19 December)
Chinese celebrities Tang Yixin and Zhang Ruoyun got married in Ireland in June
9. German National Tourism Office, “15 New German Visa Application Centers Opening”, 31,663 views for the week of 11-17 February (37,300 views as of 19 December)
Germany’s simple list of new visa application centers was the 8th most-viewed post of the year by an NTO
8. Tourism Authority of Thailand, Chengdu Office, “Send Your Best New Year Picture and Win Secret Gifts”, 39,594 views for the week of 28 January-3 February (40,800 views as of 19 December)
Thailand got lots of views for a Chinese New Year photo contest and giveaway
7. Visit Korea, “Treasure Hunt in Beijing’s 798 Arts District”, 41,159 views for the week of 4-10 March (47,400 views as of 19 December)
South Korea’s interactive treasure hunt game was a hit
6. Tourism Australia, “Discover the Beauty of Australia”, 41,502 views for the week of 11-17 November (55,300 views as of 19 December)
WeChat users swiped to reveal beautiful scenes from Australia in the tourism board’s standout 2019 post
5. Visit Korea, “Year of the Pig: Leave a Comment to Win Gifts,” 56,981 views for the week of 21-27 January (63,300 views as of 19 December)
South Korea, like Thailand, attracted thousands of views for its Chinese New Year giveaway
4. Tourism New Zealand, “Only Cloud Knows: Central Otago stars in bittersweet Chinese romance”, 85,230 views for the week of 16-22 December (91,700 views as of 27 December)
Tourism New Zealand encouraged readers to share the post, and their memories of the country, by offering a giveaway of free cinema tickets for a romantic Chinese film shot in Central Otago
3. Visit Norway, “The Norwegian tourism film Iconic Norway shows the beauty of its country”, 62,059 views for the week of 7-13 January (100,000+* views as of 19 December)
Norway impressed WeChat users with a short film and photos of the country’s diverse and natural beauty
2. Japan National Tourism Organization, “Cherry Blossom Forecast”, 90,467 views for the week of 11-17 February (100,000+ views* as of 19 December)
Japan’s cherry blossom-related articles are an annual favorite on WeChat
1. Tourism Authority of Thailand, Shanghai Office, “Thailand, Your Next Romantic Destination”, 100,000+ views* for the week of 1-7 July
Thailand sold itself as a top choice for honeymoons, destination weddings, and other romantic travel
*Please note that the highest number of views counted by WeChat is 100,000.